Sunday, September 1, 2024

BreyerFest 2024, Part 3: BF Open Show

A bunch of BreyerFesters this year made and exchanged friendship bracelets, and I was 100% on board with this fun new trend.

 
My sister Sarah (who is 7 years younger than I and thus more in-the-know) informed me that the bracelet swapping trend was a thing at Taylor Swift concerts, so I had to include my own bad GenX musical puns with the ones I made.


Friday morning for the BreyerFest Open Show saw us both bedecked with an armload of bracelets and fortified with industrial strength coffee since we started the day at 4:00 am. The show always begins with collectors classes---Sarah entered the variety division and I entered theme.

Yay, Sarah!

My test runs only managed 5th. C'est la vie!

Here are some other fun entries from the variety, theme, and Stablemates collectors class divisions.







Most of what we show is, unsurprisingly, vintage weirdness. This Western Pony in the fragile, hard to find showcase box is one of my favorite additions to our collection this year.


We do a lot of running back and forth to the show tables over the course of the day, often with fiddly bits of ephemera, accessories, and other doo-dads. Pockets come in very handy when you want to be sure not to lose anything!

No Mounties nor their hats were lost!

The overall prize models this year were pretty paint jobs on the Moody Friesian and Conquistador molds.


The only prize model I desperately wanted to win this year was the glossy version of Sweetwater's Zorah Belle, Maggie Jenner-Bennett's scrumptious Fjord pony sculpture. I have a conga of 8 of them (7 OFs and 1 CM), so you could say I'm a tad obsessed. I blame my Norwegian forebears.


I had good luck again in this show with a powerhouse mini, and happily my conga remains complete for now!

I will probably cry when the mold is released as a raffle model. I am 0 for 35 with BF raffles alas. A bit of foreshadowing for my next BF post, ha ha. Anyway, next time, Saturday at the park with all of the colorful horses, the raffle, and a brief peek into Equilocity!

4 comments:

  1. So glad to have found another hobby blog. I miss Andrea & her blog so much but now there’s this one to help fill the void.
    Congrats to you & your sister! Such lovely models & set ups. Thanks for the photos of the other entries. I go to BF every year but it’s been a while since I’ve walked over to the show to see the models & just soak in the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m loving your BreyerFest coverage! My mind just boggles perusing the Collector’s Class entries. So much history! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed your posts of the collectors classes & all their eye candy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those Collector's entries are mind boggling. I've been collecting Breyers since 1964 and still 'never saw that before!' happens. Some are ahahs: So that's where the Black Dapple 5Gaiter wound up! I realize I don't know SMs hardly at all. It would be so hard judging.

    ReplyDelete